Tuesday, June 10, 2008

XeO3: An interesting side effect....

Now that its all working, it appears to be quite a bit harder.... Closer inspection shows that the changes to the bullet collision have actually made it tougher! This is because coins can now be hit! So its pretty tough to shoot a line of aliens if they all drop coins, and means you really need to shoot it close to you, and then quickly pick up the coin so you can shoot the next one in line!

This is pretty hard, particually if your being hammered from all sides by turrets! I could change it now, but I think I'll wait and see what the feed back is. Of course, the temptation of gamers it to make it reasonably easy so they can finish it, so all comments will have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but lets see what you all say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, guess not: shooting to a baddies row with no effect in that moment would turn in frustration instead. To me, would be better keeping it hard by other parameters...

Vladimir Janković said...

Leave it for players to test it...

If its too hard we'll make trained version :)

Mike said...

The idea of this demo is to get the difficulty right so people enjoy the final game without having to train it!

Im still not sure...

Vladimir Janković said...

For me ideal example for fair but not too easy game is Ikari Warriors on C64...

I didnt get more than 10 minutes into game and thought it was max one can go...

Then a friend of mine showed me (we bet against him... and lost :) ) how to get to the end of game (an hour of playing at least) and later I could do it also...

Same for Turrican 1,2

Conclusion: I guess amount of buletts shoud be calibrated, and there shouldnt be player deaths caused by random events that player can not avoid.
Every death should be caused by player not doing the right thing at given moment...

Ahhh just let it to us to tell you is it tough or not :)

Mike said...

An hour - really? Every time I die on it, its been my fault... Mmm...
An hours too long for level 1 I think.

I'm guessing that its the turret/alien bullets that are causing the problem?