Sunday, July 01, 2007

XeO3: Squishing bugs!

I've had a really bugging..well...bug! for a while now in the front end; after you die and return there I seemed to be losing a layer of stars and I couldn't think what it could be! My first that was that one of the couters werent being reset and so a layer was in fact 2, but I couldn't see how that was possible. So I then though that perhaps some stars were black, and I just wasn't seeing them. This wasn't right either - although I did discover some were in fact being made black - but it was fairly even throughout all the layers. Once I fixed that I went back to hunting for the missing layer.... Turns out my first instinct was right and a counter wasn't being reset! The slowest speed only moves every other frame and was being toggled with $FF and getting checked to 0, but since I use the game data area it wasn't being cleared to 0, which meant the EOR #$FF was setting it from one zero value to another, and so it was moving at the same speed as the middle layer.

Glad I fixed that, its been bugging me for a while now....


Anonymous said...

Heh, it's funny how you find several bugs when you go hunting. I found two other waypoint related bugs in PR before nailing down the one I was searching. One of them was because of sloppy optimizing... :(


Mike said...

yeah, you always "think" things are pretty much bug free - I dread to think how many I would find if I went through the whole code!