I've spent a little time trying to chat up my MMC64, but it just won't respond to my tender words, at least I wasn't having much luck until about 5 minutes ago. I was following the documentation completely - cut and paste actually - but with very little to show for it. It then occured to me that since I'm loading from it, it must already be enabled and ready to go. So I've dispensed with the full initialisation and jumped straight in with sector reading, and what do you know! It works! I'm not quite sure what would happen if you have to re-initialise the thing as I can't seem to get that going at all, but as long as the cards in and you've just loaded the main program from that, its all funky.
For a first pass, not having any error state is probably fine, after all its not like you have to swap disks (err...MMC cards) during a game or anything, and if you remove the card then its probably your own fault. Still sometime down the line doing a better fault tolerant system is desirable - but lets get the bugger working first! I still expect this to be released in V1.1 of the framework, but its good to see it shouldn't be too difficult.
I've also added a simple animation system to the framework even though I said I wouldn't. I figured you can always rip it out, and in the end the ones I write are almost exactly the same over and over again so sod it. This means theres now the multiplexor, a few sorts, basic collision, animation, joystick and keyboard input and a very simple test app - which is a good start. Actually, theres 2 test apps. The Frame work has code to bounce sprites around in a simple manner, and then theres the playformer framework which gives a little more realistic usage. Still the more the merrier.
I'll now have to do another web page to download all this rubbish, and expand my wiki page to have some simple documentation...and I mean simple...