Been a few weeks now since I last did anything really, so I started to try and hunt down the bug in the new cache system. I'm getting less and less time just now, so I only really got a chance to go over the code a little but I'm sure its in the cache. I reduced the number of cache entries down to 2, and the sprite corruption showed up everywhere, so I think its something to do with the last cache block, although I've no idea currently what that is. I hope to start proper debugging tonight, but that assumes I'll be able to stay awake long enough. I'm currently struggling with a cold which has me virtually asleep at my desk.
Anyway, while plodding away with XeO3 this year, I've been thinking that 8bit development has gotten far easier than it used to be, and I don't think theres any one reason why, I think tools are better, turn around is better, editors and web help and we just know more about it. Hell, I did the C64 multiplexor in a couple of days! It used to take weeks! But with this bug, I'm starting to think that its all just down to experiance. I've done lots of harder things now, and retro coding is pretty simple as far as game logic goes, so we just dont make as many mistakes as we used to when we were starting out. This new bug on the other hand is a little more complex as it's now using a more advanced/faster cache that will take a little time to unravel. Still, its good to know that I can still learn stuff, and Im not quite as thick as I once was.