Friday, April 07, 2006

The life of a games coder.....

Thought I'd start again.... see how it goes.

I keep thinking I'd like to write a book, but I'm fairly sure almost everyone does at some point. Normally I think people have lots of ideas and just think it would make a great story, and thats abouit it; but I keep thinking about the same story line. It's not like I feel I've any great talent for writing, in fact I know I pretty much suck. It's just that its the kind of story I'd like to read - in fact, you could say that if someone else were to write it, I'd be happy enough not to have to. Its not like I have loads of spare time either. Oh well... add it to the list of things to achive in my life I guess.

Work's taken a slightly odd turn too... I had my appraisal a couple of weeks ago, and it's actually left me wondering if I should remain in games and in fact programming as a whole. Dave (being Dave) seemed hell bent on trying to reasure me about things, but I remain unconvinced. I can't decide if I'm lagging too far behind in style and procedure, or if everyone else I'm invloved in is too deep into "style" over content for their own good.
Currently, almost everywhere I look, I think people are over complicating things and I have a theory. I'm not very bright - when you get right down to it - and I think because of this, I code in a simple way. Thats not to say its bad, unthought out code - no. Its a plain, and simple approach that means its never over burdened with language features just for the sake of it.

I don't know.... I used to think that the whole key to staying in games was to learn everyday, and keep up to date. But now I'm beginning to wonder if I have - or can.

No comments: