Saturday, March 31, 2007

XeO3: I'mmmmmmmmmmmmm.............BAAAaaack!

Well, after a long break, I'm back and trying to get things swinging again. But needless to say, I screwed up yet again and left the game in a terrible state. There's at least 2 very serious bugs causing crashes and corruption through out the game that I need to track down before I even get started with new stuff.

I've managed to sort the 1st one out which was the turret and mine animations were going nuts! It turns out that a huge chunk of code had been deleted (I assume by accident!), and the only way I managed to find it was by doing a DIFF using source safe (a source control program).

Source control is great - even for use at home when your the only programmer. They are normally used for large teams and manage source merging and storage, but for a single programmer they give valuable check points where you can roll back to if all else fails. This is how I caught this bug; I simply checked the current version on disk, to the current version that was checked into SourceSafe - and a huge block of code had vanished. A simple copy+paste from SSafe to CodeWright, and its fixed.

The next bugs probably going to be a lot harder as Im sure its to do with the new sprite cache....

Edit: Oh! and I've been told Im not allowed to do any demos until I've finished XeO3....bummer :)

1 comment:

luca said...

Aaaah! That's the reason why! :O
Ok, now I definitely have to wait for the new background animation system. Meanwhile, there's a 2nd level boss to be drawn too.
...hoping rulez.org would be back for that time... :(